Press Piece- Hot questions for election candidates: BC(A)R SI.9
by Bregs Blog admin team
Here is a Link to Drogheda Independent 2nd April 2014: “Hot questions for election candidates” which tables 5 simple questions to ask upcoming election candidates when they arrive to your door. Although these questions are posed by a self-builder, we wonder how many questions could be asked by other groups who are the subject to adverse unintended consequences of Building Control (Amendment) Regulation (SI.9 of 2014)? If any Architectural Technicians, farmers, SME’s, registered professionals, victims of pyrite, building control officers; anyone and everyone affected by BC(A)R SI.9, would like to write in to us here we would be only happy to assemble appropriate and relevant questions on an easy to access list.
Extract from Letter to Editor:
I would like to ask your help in printing this list of questions on the the new Building Control laws for citizens to ask local election candidates when they canvass at our doors.
To all Citizens of Ireland who are thinking about building a home or an extension over 40 msq. New Building Control laws (known as SI 9) implemented by Minister Phil Hogan on March 1st this year now mean that all construction MUST go through a main building contractor, an assigned certifier, a project supervisor design stage and a project supervisor construction stage must also be employed. Effectively this all means that building a home in Ireland is now reserved for the privileged few – the very rich among us.
Here are some questions you can ask your local candidates:
(1) Why has Minister Hogan banned Self Building in Ireland? (if they say he hasn’t banned it – just tell them that all the documents are to be signed by a principal or director of a building company only. The Minister has made absolutely NO provision for the self builder in these regulations.)
(2) Why is the self builder being punished for the mistakes of the Contractors and Developers of the Property Boom?
(3) Why did the Minister not listen to pleas for a deferral of these laws and listen to the sensible solutions put forward by members of the RIAI (Royal Institute of Architects of Ireland)?
(4) Why did the Minister amend these laws one week after they were implemented exempting Schools and Hospitals from these strict regulations?
(5) Why is Minister Hogan not being truthful with the Nation by refusing to issue a statement informing us that he has banned self building?