BREGS Blog Archive 6 | APRIL 2014
by Bregs Blog admin team
BREGS Blog Archive 6 | APRIL 2014
by Bregs Blog admin team 18th November 2014
Don’t forget our archives! Click on the following link and read through our 58 posts for April 2014. Our first post “fees and numbers of inspections” is a topic many implementers are still struggling with 7 months later. This month there was a Seanad Debate on SI.9 and self-building- problems still beset this sector months later. Scroll through our posts which are in reverse chronological order. Enjoy!
Click link: BREGS Blog Archive 5- APRIL 2014
- In April the Irish Building Control Institute conference wash held in Sligo and numerous concerns by Officers were discussed. See posts here and here.
- Employee’s concerns were highlighted in our popular “practical post” series see here.
- Minster Hogan received a personal complaint about fee fixing from a registered professional here.
- There were a number of submissions made in advance of the Seanad debate on SI.9 (SI.105) on April 10th. Former presidents Pádraig Murray and Eoin O’Cofaigh made submissions to Senators- read here and here. An unregistered architect also made a submission (here).
- In the Seanad debate (listen here) former Minister Hogan suggested that “professionals were “…engaging in financial extortion” see here. Following on from the debate the representative body for self-builders (IAOSB) made a complaint against statements made by former Minister Hogan in the Seanad “You have stated your department is in discussion with us and we have not risen any objections. This is a grave misrepresentation of our organisation and the interests of all self-builders in the Seanad. We would support any independent inquiry into these statements.“- see here.
- An Architectural Technologist’s letter expressing frustration at comments made by former Minister Hogan in the debate were posted here.
- Former president Eoin O’Cofaigh wondered at the increased cost and re-tape in SI.9 and the effect on international competitiveness (see here).
- Architect and key stakeholder negotiator Orla Fitzgerald MRIAI noted the time required for new certifier roles under SI.9: “there is…a requirement for an additional 18 days of input“. See post here.
- Self builders issues came to the fore in a radio piece with past president of the RIAI- listen here. Concerns were echoed by Senator Paschal Mooney in another radio piece here. The IAOSB escalated concerns to the Law Society (read here).
- A Chartered Surveyor brought concerns regarding SI.9 to the attention of local TD’s here.
- The first of a number of County Councils voted to ask Minister Hogan to scrap SI.9- see Press Piece: Co. Council votes to scrap BC(A)R S.I.9
- Pyrite in homes in Mayo was highlighted (here).
- We highlighted some of the problems with design certifier roles here
- We pondered if developers were being promoted over self-buidlers? see here.
- Barrett Chapman, Partner, Contruction Department, McCann Fitzgerald Solicitors suggested that certifiers should make sure they have professional indemnity insurance. Regarding advice is to assigned certifiers in light of his presentation, whether to act in the new certifier roles, Barrett offered this advice: “Don’t“- see here.
Previous Archive posts (click title):
Other popular “top read” posts:
- SI9- where do I start?
- Top 10 for week ending 16th November 2014
- S.I.9 – Where are we now? 27 October 2014
- Top dozen posts | October 2014.
- Top 20 posts for September
- Top 7 for 7- August 30th 2014
- Top 7 for 7- August 23rd 2014
- Top 20 Breg Blog posts for June 2014
- Top 10 for June 7th
- Hot topic: Architectural Technologists and SI.9
- Top 12 posts- week ending 31st May
- TOP 10 for the week ending 17th May 2014
- Top 7 posts for the week-10th May
- Top 10 Posts for Easter break
- TOP 10 Breg Blog Posts for March:BC(A)R SI.9
- Building Control Officers need help! BC(A)R SI.9
- RTÉ Radio 1 Clip: RIAI confirms call for deferral of BC(A)R SI.9