by Mark Stephens
Earlier this year I wrote a short guide to the Building Control Management System (BCMS); the online system of lodging commencement notices under S.I. No.9 of 2014 and this post gives an update following my first Building Commencement lodged yesterday:
A critical step missing from the previous post concerns the nomination of roles (Nominate Roles tab); this is where the Owner(s), Designer, Assigned Certifier & Builder are specified:
Two important comments regarding these nominations:
• You will not be able to download or upload any Statutory Documents or Supporting Documents until these roles have been nominated AND accepted via the email that you’ve specified during nomination. This system change has occurred only in the last few weeks. The screen-grab below shows the email from BCMS via localgov.ie indicating the acceptance of a role:
• It is the ‘Nominate Roles’ that flags to the Local Authority Building Control Department if any of the roles are the same; it is proposed (in recent CPD) that additional Building Control inspections would occur if the Owner and Builder were the same person for example.
Other key aspects of the system include:
• Secure payment via credit card for the Commencement Notice cannot occur until ‘project details, roles, assessments and documentation are complete.’
• When the payment has been made, the Commencement Notice is then forwarded to the relevant Local Authority for validation:
• The Local Authority then validates the Commencement Notice and confirms this via email:
Due to the time span involved (Commencement Notice was lodged at 9pm and validation occurred at 9.30am the following morning) it does not appear that the Local Auhority is undertaking any further validation (other than that handled online by BCMS) or at this stage any Building Regulation compliance which would not be part of the validation procedure in any case.
Other posts of interest: